Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday

30 Minutes or Less - Steak, Steamed Fresh Vegetables and French Bread.


This will make a great dinner for Dad for Father's Day and he DOESN'T have to grill it. I do all the grilling myself!

Marinade the Steak, I make my own marinade with my own fresh herbs, Balsamic Vinegar & Worcestershire Sauce.

Here I've used Rosemary, Thyme, Marjoram, Greek Oregano and Basil. I chopped it all very fine in the mezzaluna (pictured above and below).

I pour balsamic vinegar and a touch of Worcestershire Sauce over the steaks, just enough to cover and sprinkle the herbs over.

You can salt and pepper if you like, but I prefer to avoid such common seasonings if I can get away with it. The IMPORTANT trick with the balsamic vinegar is to not let it marinade too long or it will pre-cook the meat! Also a note on balsamic vinegar, if you are cooking game meat such as Venison this is good to take the "game-y-ness" out of it.


Steamed Fresh Vegetables, I picked these up today at the local Farmer's Market. It's a shame that as green as we try to be, the farmers still prepackaged the vegetables in plastic. Well, not the carrots - those aren't in season yet locally those are from the grocery store. Even with your local vegetables, be sure to wash them. Cut the florets off of the broccoli and cauliflower stems, put in a steamer basket (in a pot) and add about 2" of water to the bottom - just enough for the water to be barely visible through the steamer basket. Cover with a lid and bring the water to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are bright in color. Steaming is the best way to keep the most nutrients in the vegetables.

French Bread was pre made (by someone at the Bakery) and all I'm doing here is slicing it, buttering it adding a bit of seasoning and toasting it. OK, I skipped the seasonings on the bread because it smelled so good without. And I was right, adding seasoning would have spoiled the taste of it.

As a testimony to this meal, my daughter, who usually wont eat steak at all, chose this dinner over her PB&J! The medium to medium rare cooking of the steak made it easier for her to chew and swallow. She ate all the broccoli and carrots and of course the bread, but wasn't too keen on the cauliflower. I'll introduce that one a few more times to see if she'll take to it.

Duck Tales Inflation Lesson

COPYRIGHT

Please note that all designs sold by Maddie & ME, Children's Handcrafted Couture AND Mommy's Little Helper, Bath & Body for the Soul are the intellectual property of the owner and are subject to all Copyright protections as provided by law.